Monday, October 22, 2007

"So You're an actual Doby?!"

Saturday I went to Corbin, KY with my dad for a Doby family reunion. We met up with my 4 (out of 5) aunts, my cousin and one of his daughters, another cousin and his wife and then another cousin's wife. Out of the 40 something people that were there, that's all I knew! I was talking in the car with my dad and asking him if he even knew his aunts and uncles and he didn't, so that's why we don't know any of these people! I had one lady come up to me from "Rose's Line" (she was my dad's aunt) and said "So you're an actual Doby! I've always been fascinated by the Doby side" Um, ok sure lady, um I mean 3rd cousin from Great Aunt Rose's side. Sarcasm aside it was quite interesting to see all this family I never knew I had! And one of my like 3rd cousin's from Aunt Arthie's side put the whole thing together! She's been researching our family tree for a few years now. I got to see a picture of my great grandfather, his name was Robert Doby. What really was sort of sad is it seemed like to me that since none of us really knew each other then I can only speculate that my grandfather and his brothers and sisters weren't close. But I sure am glad that my dad generation did not follow in their footsteps!

I did hear a funny story about my Papaw Doby. After hearing it, it all made sense why my family (including me) are not good with names! So my aunt Sue, Sue is her middle name and her first name is Mickey. we're all sitting around talking and looking at our family tree and my aunt Nan (who is the oldest) says "when Sue was born, we were all talking about what we should name her and Daddy says, I had a sister named Mickey, let's name her that" so then Nan said they all agreed to name her after aunt Mickey. Then Nan points to the family tree and there's aunt "Mickey" name only it's not Mickey! It’s Micah! We laughed! Then Sue says well it gets worse cause back in the 80's she got a hold of her birth certificate and had to change it cause it said "Nookie" Sue Doby! So we're still not sure where that came from! I'll chalk that one up to the nurse not being able to understand my grandparent’s THICK Appalachian accent!

No comments: