Thursday, June 5, 2008

Last night, I was helping Christy do a picture DVD slideshow for her Parents Day Out Graduation. She bought some software that was a little like what I use and wanted to learn how to use it.
We figured out everything about the slideshow and we're getting ready to burn it to a disc, so we pop the disc in and I go to choose the drive that the DVD burner is and I look and it didn't say DVD RW, which normally means it can burn a DVD.


Me: “are you sure this is a DVD burner?”
Christy: “I’m pretty sure…”
Me: “well this drive doesn’t say DVD RW, and normally it would if it was?”
Christy: “so I have to have a DVD burner?”
Me: “yes”
Christy: “Would this work?” (Walking over to a box, clearly marked DVD Burner)
Me: “um, yes!”


She just happened to have that laying around! So we open the box, pulling all the discs and instructions out to get to the good stuff (who needs that, right?) and hook it up to the computer. Now we’re ready! We pop that disc in and….still doesn’t work! Ok, so now to the instructions! After reading the instructions a bit in Spanish, French, German, Japanese, oh and THEN English, we read that the only types of DVDs that are compatible with this burner are DVD-R. Guess what type we have? DVD+R.


Me: “well this is still ok, you can go out tomorrow morning and buy some and still burn it before tomorrow night.”
Christy: “yeah, whew! I was getting worried!”
Me: “well it’s getting late (it was 1:00 AM), I should go.” Getting up grabbing my keys, I notice this case on the desk.
Me: “what’s this? Look! It’s says DVD-R! They must have given you one free with the burner!”
Christy: “PRAISE THE LORD!!!”

Then we did a praise dance and burned that DVD!

No comments: