Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Need Some Discipline

I read this today and thought about how true this is - at least for me! I try to remember but some days it's just really hard. And the sad thing is that I know why - let's be honest here, I don't read the Word like I should! *OH Gasp!* Lord, give me the discipline I need to make myself read more of your word so that I can remember when these hard days come along.
Save the Day
by Dizmas

Why do I forget the words
that you spoke to me?

Why do we seem to forget everything that God has told us and promised us, the minute our circumstances get overwhelming? It's as if the part of our brain that is focused on God suddenly switches off. This is one reason that we need to be immersed in God's Word and in communication with Him.

When that part of our brain switches off, it becomes harder to hear that still, small voice. The one that's whispering, "It's okay. I'm right here. I'm taking care of you. I'm in control." But if we have already grown used to hearing that voice and trusting it, it becomes easier to hear.

If you're not in the habit of reading the Bible or praying, make that part of today. Begin by reading about Jesus and getting to know him better. If you do it today, it will become easier to do it tomorrow. And soon you'll be able to hear his voice.

Isaiah 55:3
"Come to me with your ears wide open.
Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you.
I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David. . . .
Seek the Lord while you can find him.
Call on him now while he is near."

No comments: